Subject: Specimens cast in resin

Specimens cast in resin

From: Alan J. Hawk <alan.hawk>
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2007
We have several brain specimens cast in resin (possibly epoxy resin)
that we are putting out on loan.  These objects were made in the
1950's-1960's and have yellowed somewhat.  I do not have the precise
formula for the resin.

A couple of questions:

    Would exposure to light fade the specimen inside the cast?
    Any idea of the UV filtering capability of epoxy resin?
    Why is the resin yellowing and will this be an on going problem?
    What is the long term stability of epoxy resin

Alan Hawk
Collections Manager, Historical Collections
National Museum of Health and Medicine
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
Bldg. 54, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Washington, DC  20306-6000
PO Box 59685
Washington DC 20012-0685
202-782-2205, DSN 662-2205