Subject: Enameled iron

Enameled iron

From: Lena Tietjen <lena-t>
Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2007
I am working on an enamelled iron object. It is a marine find and
has been part of a ship. After cleaning and uncovering, a treatment
to remove the chlorides is planned. The problem is the combination
of iron and enamel and the possible reaction of the enamel layer in
contact with any kind of a solution. Does anyone have experience
working with enamelled iron? Is it possible to protect the enamel
during the desalination treatment, e.g. with cyclododecane (though
this could prevent the chlorides to come out and the enamel would be
attacked from the inside). I would be very thankful for any
treatment tips,

Lena Tietjen (working at Langelands Museum, DK)

                Distributed: Saturday, October 20, 2007