Subject: Footwear coverings

Footwear coverings

From: Molly Carlson <mcarlson>
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Katharine A. Untch <katy [at] argsf__com> writes

>An historic site recently asked me "who really uses those?" when
>referring to footwear coverings ("booties") sometimes used for
>visitors when touring historic buildings. So, I thought we might try
>finding out.  If you know of any sites using these protective foot
>coverings, could you let me know which sites?

I recently returned from Egypt where I had the great fortune to
visit the Solar Boat of Pharaoh Khufu, 2600-2550 BC at the Giza
Plateau. Visitors were required to cover street shoes with cloth
booties before entering the gallery.

Molly O'Guinness Carlson
Archaeological Conservator

                Distributed: Saturday, October 20, 2007