Subject: Footwear coverings

Footwear coverings

From: Lori Arnold <woodbldg>
Date: Thursday, October 18, 2007
Katharine A. Untch <katy [at] argsf__com> writes

>An historic site recently asked me "who really uses those?" when
>referring to footwear coverings ("booties") sometimes used for
>visitors when touring historic buildings. So, I thought we might try
>finding out.  If you know of any sites using these protective foot
>coverings, could you let me know which sites?

There are quite a few historic sites that I know of that use foot
coverings--especially when historic wood floors are important to the
interpretation of the site or building. At Jackson Pollock's studio
in Long Island (where I conserved areas of the floor), foot
coverings are required at all times. The debate for many historic
sites is what type of footwear should be used: Tyvek, foam
footies--they all vary. Many museums use Tyvek when moving furniture
in period rooms, but these can be expensive.

Lori Arnold
President
Arnold Wood Conservation, LLC
1822 Fairmount Avenue