Subject: Footwear coverings

Footwear coverings

From: Deborah Lee Trupin <deborah.trupin>
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Katharine A. Untch <katy [at] argsf__com> writes

>An historic site recently asked me "who really uses those?" when
>referring to footwear coverings ("booties") sometimes used for
>visitors when touring historic buildings. So, I thought we might try
>finding out.  If you know of any sites using these protective foot
>coverings, could you let me know which sites?

I have not yet found a site in the US that uses "booties," much as I
have wished that our NY State historic sites would use them.  In
Europe, however, I have used them in a number of places.  NYU's
Villa La Pietra in Florence, Italy requires all going on tours to
wear booties.  In Helsinki, Finland several museums also require
them--I most clearly remember using them in the Burger's Museum, one
of a group of house museums that are part of the Helsinki City
Museums.

I'm interested too to learn of others.  Thanks for asking this!

Deborah Lee Trupin
Textile Conservator
New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
Bureau of Historic Sites
Peebles Island
PO Box 219
Waterford NY 12188, USA