Subject: Bread and moths

Bread and moths

From: Bettina Landgrebe <landgrebe>
Date: Sunday, October 7, 2007
Eugenia Stamatopoulou <stamatopoulou [at] deste__gr> writes

>We are exhibiting a work of contemporary art made with bread. This
>work is a large installation created by "real" bread. The bread has
>been changed recently (some parts of it) with new bread made locally
>(Athens). During the summer closure, even by having temperature
>control inside the exhibition space, when the space re-opened, we
>found an important number of death moths around the space. However,
>fumigation with chemicals is not acceptable by the artist since it
>is important for him to keep the "bread" smell.

For an unmovable object of this size I would suggest using pheromone
traps which will attract the male moths. Information on pheromone
traps (different types) can be found at Wikipedia or at companies
which specialize in pest control or biological pest control.

Bettina Landgrebe
Conservator
The Chinati Foundation
Box 1135