Subject: DVDs on 19th century bookbinding techniques

DVDs on 19th century bookbinding techniques

From: Sam Ellenport <info>
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2007
The Harcourt Bindery of Boston is the last large hand-bookbindery in
America still working in a 19th century tradition.  Over a year ago
The Harcourt Bindery was told that its lease would not be renewed,
and that a move this summer was inevitable.  The company was founded
in 1900, and had only moved twice before; the current move involved
significant downsizing.

In anticipation of these changes, I have produced 2 DVDs.  These
document the Harcourt Bindery as it was since its founding in 1900,
as well as the 19th century techniques used to create leather
bindings.  Each DVD runs over an hour.  The first DVD is called
"Bookbinding at The Harcourt Bindery, 2006." It traces how a basic
cloth and leather book was bound, and gives a sense of what the
bindery looked like with its array of equipment and machinery.  The
second DVD, "Nineteenth Century Bookbinding Techniques at The
Harcourt Bindery," shows how production speed went hand in hand with
producing quality leather bindings, mostly sets or small leather
editions.

Each of the DVDs is priced at $15.00 each + $3.00 dollars for
shipping and postage.  Postage abroad, including Canada, is $5.00.
To order one or both, please send the relevant amount made payable

    Sam Ellenport
    205 School St.
    Belmont MA 02478, USA

and I will ship on receipt.  Payment can be arranged through Paypal,
in which case contact me at sam [at] chagfordinc__com.  Institutions can
be invoiced.

                 Distributed: Saturday, October 6, 2007