Subject: Packing foam

Packing foam

From: Caroline Bendix <bendijack2>
Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Regina Sinclair <sinclairr [at] csl__edu> writes

>Why is it unsuitable to use regular packing foam to keep books from
>moving around inside standard size rare book boxes?  "Archival
>quality polyethylene foam" is available. I need to know "why".

One problem in using foam for packing books is that it is abrasive
and unless books are in pristine condition, damage is likely to
occur to board edges  and corners, joints, and spines at the head
and tail. Torn and lifting covering materials and title labels may
also be broken off, unnoticed, and subsequently lost.

Caroline Bendix ACR-ICON
Independent library conservator
Wry Furlong
Welford Road