Subject: Publications on cleaning book covers with dry ice

Publications on cleaning book covers with dry ice

From: Susan Lee-Bechtold <susanleebechtold>
Date: Sunday, September 30, 2007
William Minter <wminter [at] pennswoods__net> writes

>Randy has written an article--see below--that discusses the
>chemistry of smoke and soot, and the options that are currently
>available to remove soot and smoke odor from book covers. The idea
>of using dry ice to blast away paint and other residue from a
>variety of surfaces has been widely used in industry. Randy used
>that technology to clean over 300 old Record Books that had been in
>a fire. There may be other uses for this technology in the field of
>conservation?

I hate to dampen anyone's spirits, but blasting liquid or gaseous
carbon dioxide (dry ice) at something seems a really poor way,
environmentally speaking, to clean something (why not use compressed
air).  And I would certainly like to know what commercial companies
do this, so I might remind them of my concerns with global
warming.

Susan Lee-Bechtold
PhD Physical Chemistry

                 Distributed: Saturday, October 6, 2007