Subject: Stamp pad ink

Stamp pad ink

From: Alan P. van Dyke <alan>
Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007
We are toying with the idea of using rubber stamps on collection
material folders during our archives processing.  Currently we are
writing information with pencil, but much of the information is
repeated and a stamp could make the job a little easier for
archivists.  Though the inks will not be in direct contact with the
collection materials, we would prefer using something relatively
safe.  I have found two products:  Ranger Archival Ink Stamp Pads,
available at a number of art suppliers, and Archival Stamp Pad Ink,
available from Conservation Resources.  I know that Conservation
Resources is reliable, but their product requires squirting ink onto
a block of balsa wood that is used as a pad, whereas Ranger's
product is a ready-to-use stamp pad and is quite a bit cheaper. Does
anyone on the list have any thoughts on either of these products, or
perhaps alternatives?

Alan P. Van Dyke
Conservation Liaison
Harry Ransom Center
The University of Texas at Austin
PO Box 7219
Austin, TX 78713-7219

               Distributed: Saturday, September 29, 2007