Subject: Storing formaldehyde solutions

Storing formaldehyde solutions

From: Michelle Berry <mberry>
Date: Thursday, September 27, 2007
I am seeking information regarding the storage of large volumes of
4% formaldehyde solution.  Museum Victoria has acquired a great
white shark which is stored in this solution and the size of the
tank used to house the shark means that it cannot be stored with the
other fluid preserved specimen collections.  It is proposed to store
the tank in a large temperature controlled warehouse with a
collection of historical and technological objects.  We are
currently identifying risks and one of them is the potential affect
of formaldehyde vapour on the historical and technological materials
housed in the same space. The tank will be sealed however we expect
that there will be some evaporation into the space.  I am seeking
information or experience on the affect of evaporating formaldehyde
on a range of materials rather than the effect of wood/formaldehyde
off gassing such as you would find inside a showcase.

Michelle Berry
Conservator

               Distributed: Saturday, September 29, 2007