Subject: Toning paper

Toning paper

From: Donia Conn <bookconservator>
Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2007
I have been working with toning paper with "paper extract" ever
since Piers Townshend published and article on its use in The Paper
Conservator (vol. 26, 2002).  I have not found the pH of the
solution to be a problem before but have now found the solution to
be of a low (3.8) pH, although it did not change the pH of the
tissue it was applied to once dried.

Has anyone done any more in-depth research into the use of paper
extract and its effects on the pH of paper?  I would be very
interested to hear others experience using it in paper and book
conservation.

Donia Conn
Northwestern University Library

               Distributed: Saturday, September 29, 2007