Subject: French 18th century gilding

French 18th century gilding

From: Claire Daly <claire_daly>
Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007
I am conserving a French armchair by the maker Georges Jacob, dating
to 1778.  Unfortunately the original gilding scheme has been lost
and the conservation brief is to reinstate this scheme, using
traditional French materials and techniques.  Could anyone please
tell me if they have examined or analysed gilding of this period to
determine the carat of the gold leaf used.  Research suggests that
the tone of the gold would have been 'cool' but I would like to be
more specific in my choice of gold leaf for the treatment.  Any
information would be appreciated and I would also be interested to
hear from anyone who has undertaken a similar treatment.

Claire Daly
Conservator (Decorative Surfaces)
Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
UK

               Distributed: Saturday, September 29, 2007