Subject: Madder lake

Madder lake

From: Ruth Bubb <ruth>
Date: Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Patricia Favero <pfavero [at] phillipscollection__org> writes

>I am looking for recipes--ingredients, proportions, steps--or
>references to recipes for making madder lake pigment. ...

In 1983 I wrote my final year dissertation for the Postgraduate
Diploma in the Conservation of Easel Paintings at the Courtauld
Institute, London, on the notebooks of George Field. Field worked in
the first half of the nineteenth century and a great deal of the
material in the notebooks concerns his experiments in growing madder
and manufacturing madder lake. I transcribed some of the recipes
into an appendix and there are chapters dealing with earlier
recipes, Field's equipment and experiments. I believe that the five
original notebooks are now in the archive of Winsor and Newton near
Harrow, UK, but the library of the Courtauld Institute have
photographic copies--catalogue details are available online. A copy
of my dissertation should be in the department of Conservation and
Technology at the Courtauld Institute, London--it only exists on
paper, I'm afraid, as it was written on a pre-digital typewriter.

Ruth Bubb
Paintings Conservator
Banbury, UK

                Distributed: Sunday, September 23, 2007