Subject: Workshop on pre-Columbian textiles

Workshop on pre-Columbian textiles

From: Camille Breeze <museumtextiles>
Date: Friday, August 31, 2007
Museum Textile Services <URL:http://www.museumtextiles.com> is
pleased to announce that the 2008 Pre-Columbian Textile Workshop
will take place from January 8-19, 2008 in Lima and Yarinacocha,
Peru. We will document, conserve, and mount pre-Columbian textiles
and participate in an exhibition celebrating the fifth anniversary
of our collaboration with the Huaca Malena Museum
<URL:http://huacamalena.perucultural.org.pe/>. We will also place an
emphasis on conserving textiles and ceramics salvaged after the
August 15, 2007, earthquake, which damaged buildings and
archaeological sites around Huaca Malena. Prior to the start of
classes we will make a three-day excursion to Yarinacocha to visit
Shipibo people and explore the central Amazon.

This hands-on course is geared toward museum professionals and
others with museum sensibilities and excellent hand skills who want
to learn about textile conservation and pre-Columbian cultures while
visiting Peru. Past students have included conservators,
archaeologists, textile historians, weavers, and art historians
ranging in age from college students to retirees. There are ten
spots available for non-Peruvians and four free places for
Peruvians. To see photos from past years please visit

    <URL:http://www.flickr.com/photos/patina_green/sets/>

The course cost is $800 for double occupancy or $950 for a single.
This includes up to eleven nights of accommodation, ground
transportation, tuition, and guides. It does not including airfare,
transportation to the airport after the course, lunches or dinners.

Please email Camille Myers Breeze <museumtextiles [at] gmail__com> for an
application form or for more information.

Camille Myers Breeze, Director
Museum Textile Services
Andover, Massachusetts

                Distributed: Monday, September 10, 2007