Subject: Velcro hanging systems for unstretched canvas paintings

Velcro hanging systems for unstretched canvas paintings

From: Eloise Paquette <eloise.paquette>
Date: Thursday, September 6, 2007
Ingrid Ford <ingrid.ford [at] aucklandcity__govt__nz> writes

>We are having difficulty finding a suitable method to attach Velcro
>(hook and loop fasteners) to the reverse of large unstretched canvas
>paintings for hanging purposes. ...

We recently used a velcro hanging system for a 14-foot diameter
tondo painting.  The velcro was sewn onto the excess tacking edge of
the sailcloth lining fabric at the top edge of the painting. It
worked very well. The velcro was 2 inches wide.   It must be well
sewn to the sailcloth : you must use large, tightly spaced zigzag
stitches on all edges of the velcro.  The hook part of the velcro is
hard to sew, because the thread may get caught in the hooks and
break, but you must persist.  Regular 100% polyester thread was
used, as it is the strongest available in regular stores.  Do not
use upholstery thread, as it is not meant for regular sewing
machines and could break your machine. I simply used my home sewing
machine. Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you need more
information.

Eloise Paquette
Paintings conservator
Centre de conservation du Quebec