Subject: Paper repair

Paper repair

From: Satya Ramamurthy <rsatya3>
Date: Monday, August 6, 2007
Currently I am dealing a paper work which has various losses. Can
you suggest me what material will be best as a filler. We tried
using a handmade paper but the level was very much higher than the
paint layer. We thought of using a thinner handmade paper but the
problem that would occur will be that while retouching it will
absorb the colours and won't serve the purpose. We were thinking
will sizing the thin handmade paper will serve the purpose.

I would be thankful if anyone can suggest a filler for the painting
and what material will be the best for sizing.

Any other alternative will also be helpful.

Satya
Conservator working in a private conservation studio
New Delhi, India

                 Distributed: Wednesday, August 8, 2007