Subject: Storing flags

Storing flags

From: Denise Troughton <denise.troughton>
Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Merethe Brock Didriksen <mbd [at] konsv__dk> writes

>... We
>are seeking a suitable storage solution where the flags are able to
>lie plane. Therefore we would be very grateful to hear of your
>ideas, experiences or names and addresses of suppliers of compact
>storage systems or similar.

We would like to make you aware of a unique product that may be able
to assist you with your storage problem--the product in question is
called Planorama and is a bespoke aluminium drawer system designed
to optimise storage for difficult products--such as flags.  It is
custom designed, engineered and built by Conservation By Design
Limited <URL:http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk>.

The Planorama system has been evolving and improving since
1970--units are in use around the world--for Artefacts, Charters,
Seals, Maps, Prints, Drawings, Posters, Newspapers, Stamps, Coins,
Medals, Herbaria, Butterflies, Lace, Flags and Textiles.

Local installations Include the Danish Film Institute and Danmarks
Kunstbibliotek in Copenhagen. Further a field The British Museum-for
textiles and specifically for flag storage at The National Museum of
Scotland, Musee de l'Armee (Army Museum, Paris), Archivo Di Stato
(Switzerland) and the  Musee Des Monuments Francais where we
recently installed drawers 2 x 3 metres to store facsimile paintings
of Church Frescos. Drawers measuring 5.1 x 1.1 metres in a cabinet
supplied to Hoogheemraadschap van Rijnland in the Netherland are
used to archive large maps.

One of the major benefits of this system is that it enables  you to
have lightweight and slender drawers which allow maximum density of
storage--(standard drawer profiles 10mm up to 108mm. Larger drawer
heights available)

The drawer base is dependent on your contents--but ranges from
drummed polyester, fluted polycarbonate, aluminium, or aluminium
composite for heavy duty items

Various drawer depths are available in one unit--as part of a
modular design--which offers great flexibility over conventional
plan chests.

Being lightweight the drawers can be easily removed for east
transport--say to the conservation studio or off site--this ease of
relocation is especially useful for disaster recovery purposes.
Lockable drawers and where needed anti-tilt mechanisms are optional
to offer extra security.

The removable drawers can also be used in special Frameorama display
frames which allow the contents of a drawer to be exhibited
vertically for exhibitions without handling the contents of the
drawer. These frames can be wall mounted or free standing and the
drawer simply slides in from the side. The frame can be fitted with
security glass up to a maximum thickness of 11.5mm to meet museum
security standards,

The same Frameorama profile is designed to securely fit onto the top
of a Planorama cabinet giving it a see through top which enables the
drawer contents below to be viewed as if in a showcase.

Each Planorama is hand built to exactly the size requested by the
customer from materials that are conservation grade--offering inert
protection.

To ensure a dust free environment the dust brushes are fitted both
to the individual drawer and the Planorama cabinet--they also offer
a reduction in the ingress of harmful light.

Problem solving, Lightweight, Low maintenance, flexible and a
stylish appearance

To contact:

    Conservation By Design Limited
    +44 1234 853 555