Subject: Positions at National Museums Scotland

Positions at National Museums Scotland

From: Helene Telford <h.telford>
Date: Thursday, July 5, 2007
Artefact Conservator
Assistant Artefact Conservator
Assistant Technology Conservator
National Museums Scotland

Artefact Conservator

    UKP22,911 - UKP27,042 per annum plus membership of Civil Service
    pension scheme

    We are seeking an experienced objects conservator to join our
    Artefact Conservation team. NMS has a wide range of collections.
    It has active acquisition, loan and special exhibition
    programmes, and is developing the galleries in all six of its
    museums. This post will be involved in all of these areas,
    supporting the full appreciation and accessibility of objects
    from our collections. You will have a recognised professional
    conservation qualification, and proven relevant work experience
    in a Museum/Art Gallery or similar environment. If not already a
    PACR Accredited Conservator, you will be expected to work
    towards this. You will enjoy working cooperatively with other
    museum professionals, improving the well-being of collections
    and finding creative solutions to making collections accessible
    in safe and culturally-appropriate ways. An excellent
    communicator and team member, you will be organised, excellent
    at time management, adept at problem solving, and will have good
    ICT skills.

    For further information and an application pack, please see
    <URL:http://www.nms.ac.uk/>, telephone +44 131 247 4094
    (answerphone) or email applications [at] nms__ac__uk
    applications [at] nms__ac__uk>, stating reference NMS07/52.
    Downloadable documents are available from
    <URL:http://www.nms.ac.uk>.

    Closing date for completed applications is Friday 3 August 2007.

Assistant Artefact Conservator

    UKP19,210 - UKP23,245 per annum plus membership of Civil Service
    pension scheme

    We are seeking an able objects conservator to join our Artefact
    Conservation team. NMS has a wide range of collections. It has
    active acquisition, loan and special exhibition programmes, and
    is developing the galleries in all six of its museums. This post
    will be involved in all of these areas, supporting the full
    appreciation and accessibility of objects from our collections.
    You will have a recognised professional conservation
    qualification and some proven relevant work experience in a
    Museum/Art Gallery or similar environment. Your understanding of
    materials and treatments should be solid and you should be able
    to show evidence of expanding your knowledge of these. You will
    be aware of professional conservation issues and best practice.
    You will be expected to work towards PACR Accreditation. You
    will be adept at problem solving, able to manage your time and
    work, alone or with others, to meet deadlines, and will have
    good communication and ICT skills.

    For further information and an application pack, please see
    <URL:http://www.nms.ac.uk/>, telephone +44 131 247 4094
    (answerphone) or email applications [at] nms__ac__uk
    applications [at] nms__ac__uk>, stating reference NMS07/53.
    Downloadable documents are available from
    <URL:http://www.nms.ac.uk>. Closing date for completed
    applications is Friday 3 August 2007.

Assistant Technology Conservator

    UKP19,210 - UKP23,245 per annum plus membership of Civil Service
    pension scheme

    We are seeking an able technology conservator, with excellent
    engineering skills, to join our Engineering and Furniture
    Conservation team. NMS has a wide range of collections. It has
    active acquisition, loan and special exhibition programmes, and
    is developing the galleries in all six of its museums. This post
    will be involved in many of these areas, supporting the full
    appreciation and accessibility of objects from our collections.
    You will work particularly on medium and large technological
    items. You will hold a recognised professional qualification,
    preferably in conservation, although this could be in a relevant
    technological discipline, provided that you have proven work
    experience relating to the conservation and treatment of
    engineering and technological items. You will have a good
    practical understanding of materials and treatments, and you
    should be able to show evidence of expanding your knowledge of
    these. You will be aware of professional conservation issues and
    best practice. You will be expected to work towards PACR
    Accreditation. You will be adept at problem solving, able to
    manage your time and work, alone or with others, to meet
    deadlines, and will have good communication and ICT skills.

    This post will involve occasional working at heights and a
    degree of manual handling. You may undertake work at any of the
    NMS sites and a driving licence is desirable.

    For further information and an application pack, please see
    <URL:http://www.nms.ac.uk/>, telephone +44 131 247 4094
    (answerphone) or email applications [at] nms__ac__uk
    applications [at] nms__ac__uk>, stating reference NMS07/54.
    Downloadable documents are available from
    <URL:http://www.nms.ac.uk>. Closing date for completed
    applications is Friday 3 August 2007.

Helene Telford
Human Resources Manager