Subject: Workshop on fabrics for paintings conservation

Workshop on fabrics for paintings conservation

From: Christina Young <christina.young>
Date: Wednesday, July 4, 2007
Conservators Canvas Workshop
London
Friday 12 September 2008

As part of one of the two year projects under the Designing for the
C21st AHRC/EPSRC initiative we will design and produce prototype
fabrics, for the structural conservation of easel paintings and as
artists' canvas.

In consultation with conservators and artists, then by testing,
modeling (Warwick University) and working with fabric manufacturers
(Heathcote). We will revisit the specification requirements of
canvas fabrics including: long term stability, mechanical
properties, moisture permeability, texture, handling properties,
aesthetic and commercial considerations.

A 1 day conservator's workshop will be held at the Courtauld on
Friday 12 Sept. 2008 to coincide with IIC 2008 in London . At the
workshop there will be a seminar and an opportunity to assess the
performance of the fabrics using the facilities in the Conservation
and Technology Department.

An artists workshop will be held in March 2009.

For more information and registration please see

    <URL:http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/conservation-easel/canvas/>

Dr Christina Young
Conservation and Technology Dept.
Courtauld Institute of Art