Subject: Hinging Large Format Photographs

Hinging Large Format Photographs

From: Irina Gorstein <igorstei>
Date: Thursday, July 5, 2007
J'Laine Newcombe <jlainenewcombe [at] hotmail__com> writes

>We have acquired a large (75 x 49 in.) lambda print on chromogenic
>dye coupler paper that needs to be framed for display. ...

There is a way of constructing paper strips (heavy paper for large
object) that are pleated so that the edge of the object goes into
the pleat with slit edges that allow you to interlace the ends of
your strips. The strips form a frame, the edges are attached to the
mounting board and the object is held by the narrow pleats.

You might want to check with Hugh Phibbs at the National Gallery--he
published on this subject and might have some clear instructions. I
used both full paper cradles (for smaller objects) and pleated paper
hinging strips (for larger ones) to hinge photographs.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions.

Irina Gorstein
Conservator
Frances Loeb Library
48 Quincy Street