Subject: Alexandrea Cattanea awarded Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial Scholarship

Alexandrea Cattanea awarded Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial Scholarship

From: Denise Troughton <denise.troughton>
Date: Wednesday, July 4, 2007
Conservation By Design Announces Scholarship Winner

Conservation by Design Limited Limited (CXD) has awarded its coveted
Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial Scholarship to Alexandrea Cattanea, a
conservation technician at Oxford University's Bodleian Library.

Now in its third year, the scholarship awards UKP1000 towards the
cost of attending the Montefiascone Book Conservation Summer School,
a unique bookbinding course held each year in the medieval town of
Montefiascone, Italy.

Conservation By Design managing director, Mike Brown said: "We have
had more applicants this year than ever before and the quality of
submissions was exceptionally high. We chose Alexandrea because we
were particularly impressed with her enthusiasm, passion for
bookbinding and obvious dedication to increasing her knowledge and
skills."

Alexandrea intends to use her scholarship to attend two courses at
the Summer School at the end of August, 'The Armenian Manuscript'
and 'Medieval Arab book bindings in Spain: History, structure,
materials and decoration'.

She said:

   "For me, bookbinding has become both a passion and a challenge
    and I am thrilled to be offered this amazing opportunity to
    study at the Montefiascone School.  The courses will help me to
    develop new skills and expertise which will be particularly
    beneficial to my career in conservation.

   "I am extremely grateful to Conservation By Design for awarding
    me the scholarship and I'm very excited about going out to
    Montefiascone."

For further information on the Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial
Scholarship, contact Conservation By Design on +44 1234 844 260 or
visit <URL:http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk>

Further details on The Montefiascone Project can be found at
<URL:http://www.monteproject.com/>

Note: The scholarship is offered in memory of Dr Nicholas Hadgraft,
a good friend of Conservation By Design who died tragically in 2004.
Nicholas was a fellow of the University of the Arts London and a key
collaborator on the "Squelch Drying" technique devised by Stuart
Welch (the founder of CXD), the most effective way to date of drying
valuable rare books.

For more information contact:

    Denise Troughton
    +44 1234 844 260
    +44 7817 518 250
    denise.troughton [at] conservation-by-design__co__uk

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 8, 2007