Subject: Cloth sewn to paper

Cloth sewn to paper

From: Lien Gyles <liengyles>
Date: Monday, July 2, 2007
We have recently come across a dark blue cloth fragment (125 x 70mm)
in our collection.  It is sewn unto a contemporary piece of paper,
which dates it to 1783 and identifies it as an example of cloth
suitable for making clothing for slaves.  Apparently this is quite
rare, at least in the UK.  Most of the fragment is still intact, but
two edges are badly damaged.  When touching the cloth, it feels as
if it is about to crumble away. Could anyone advise me how to
stabilise this sample--I am a paper conservator with only limited
experience of textiles. I would prefer to leave it attached to the
paper, but am open to any suggestions for treatment and packaging.

Lien Gyles
Senior Conservator
Derbyshire Record Office, UK

                   Distributed: Tuesday, July 3, 2007