Subject: Hinging Large Format Photographs

Hinging Large Format Photographs

From: J'Laine Newcombe <jlainenewcombe>
Date: Friday, June 22, 2007
We have acquired a large (75 x 49 in.) lambda print on chromogenic
dye coupler paper that needs to be framed for display.  I am not
aware of any private paper conservators in our region (South
Florida) so I have been in contact with a framing shop that may be
able to handle the project. However, they are recommending linen
hinging to matboard, with mylar corners for extra support, with an
overmat. I know that rice paper hinging is archival, and I am
hesitant to use even archival linen tape. I would appreciate any
advice on the recommended method for hinging a large color print.
Also, if anyone has recommendations for a conservator/private
conservation lab to whom I could send our print, I would be
grateful.

J'Laine Newcombe
Registrar
Vero Beach Museum of Art