Subject: Silverfish

Silverfish

From: Ercole Gialdi <egialdi>
Date: Thursday, June 21, 2007
Holly Chase <holly.chase [at] sunrider__com> writes

>Last week I had found a large, healthy silverfish crawling on the
>fabric of one of our display cases that currently houses 17-19th
>Century silk dragon robes. ...
>I had contacted one paper conservator who advised against fumigating
>the robes explaining that fumigation tends to leave a chemical
>residue on fabrics. Instead, she suggested finding an "anoxia
>treatment chamber" but didn't know of anyone in the area who has
>one.

At RGI research was spent to develop VELOXY (VEry Low OXYgen)
equipment that was certified though an European project (Italy,
Spain, Sweden and England). The equipment will allow to you to apply
the method of anoxia.

Fumigation chambers are not necessary; with VELOXY system the
museum's personnel can make the fumigation enclosures tailoring them
the objects' size and shape, with a proper gas proof transparent
plastic film. Then the inside air is modified by means of VELOXY
until an almost zero concentration of oxygen is reached. The inlet
and outlet valves are closed, VELOXY excluded, and the enclosure is
left sealed for at least three weeks. The exposure to such
atmosphere guarantees the 100% eradication of any specie of insect
at any stage of its life (adults, eggs, larvae and pupae).

This method has and is been applied all over Europe in a number of
conservation institutes; it is user friendly, clean and surely
effective. Visit <URL:http://www.rgi-genova.com> and see where and
how VELOXY was successfully applied:

Dr. Ing. Ercole Gialdi
Resource Group Integrator