Subject: Work station for mold decontamination

Work station for mold decontamination

From: Ercole Gialdi <egialdi>
Date: Thursday, June 21, 2007
Ann Baldwin <Ann.Baldwin [at] metmuseum__org> writes

>I am interested in input concerning design options for a work
>station to carry out mold decontamination. I would like to create a
>large cleanable enclosure which would accommodate an elephant trunk,
>a 25 X 25 inch air cleaner (with HEPA- and charcoal-filters), a
>stereo-microscope, the hose of a HEPA-filtered vacuum cleaner,
>artworks up to 30 X 40 inches, and a conservator. I am interested in
>possible sources for hood/shield manufacturers and welcome the
>advice of list members before fabrication is undertaken.

At RGI, an Italian company dealing with innovative technologies for
museums, archives and libraries, we use for disinfestation purposes
a plastic transparent chambers that are manufactured by PLASTECO of
Milano. They are equipped with a zip door and they can be
manufactured also in large dimensions.

Anyway, if I can give a suggestion: when the "cleaned" artefacts are
back at their place of conservation, if the environment isn't right
a new infection will rise. We are working on an European Union
project (Italy, Norway, Belgium and Poland) whose goal is the
development of an equipment (ABIOS: Aerosol BIOlogical Sterilizer)
that will keep the air sterlized inside the conservation deposits.
The first experimental results carried out at the University of Rome
shown very good results; in fact, the biological activity (spore,
bacteria) of the air in the test room was decreased of 98,8% in few
hours. A 24 hour per day, seven days per week functioning would keep
the indoor environment free from CFU (Colony Formation Units.

Ercole Gialdi
RGI Resource Group Integrator
Genova

                   Distributed: Tuesday, July 3, 2007