Subject: Position at Science Museum, London

Position at Science Museum, London

From: Langfeldt Jannicke <jannicke.langfeldt>
Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Objects Conservator (permanent post)
Science Museum, London

The Science Museum is seeking an experienced, flexible and
enthusiastic object conservator who will support the Museum's active
exhibitions and loans programme as well as looking after the objects
on display in the permanent galleries. We are looking for a
confident, outgoing professional to provide high quality
interventive conservation and collections care for the Science
Museum's collections of science, technology and medicine objects.

The position is based primarily at the Museum in South Kensington
but you may be required to work in the conservation facilities at
the object stores at Olympia or Swindon occasionally. Working with
Museum's team of conservators in London, you will have the chance to
work in a friendly atmosphere on a variety of objects and materials
from our collections. There will also be the opportunity to
supervise conservation students doing their internships at the
Science Museum.

You will work with a range of museum professionals from curators to
registrars, designers, visitor services, workshops and development.
The work includes a variety of projects, and there are opportunities
to develop excellent working relationships with stakeholders. You
will work effectively independently or in a team and always promote
high conservation standards.

Your recognised conservation qualification or similar experience
will be supported by demonstrable skills in interventive and
preventive museum object conservation across a broad spectrum of
materials.

Experience of planning and implementing conservation work, working
to deadlines, the ability to use databases and image manipulation
software and practical expertise in risk assessment and COSHH will
be essential.

Lastly you will be an excellent communicator, capable of
transmitting your passion for conservation and the history of
science, technology and medicine to a cross-section of audiences.

Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK

36 hours per week
Salary: Green Grade - UKP22970 + UKP1,000 RWA
Closing Date:  13 July 2007

In shortlisting for interview, priority will be given to applicants
whose covering letters and CVs explicitly demonstrate their
suitability in terms of the full job description. For further
information and a full job description, please visit
<URL:http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/vacancies>

To apply, please email your CV, together with a covering letter
explaining clearly how you meet all our stated requirements, to
recruittrading [at] nmsi__ac__uk or post to Human Resources, Science
Museum, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2DD. We regret that we can only
respond to successful applicants

For more information about the post please e-mail

    Jannicke Langfeldt
    Conservation manager, London
    jannicke.langfeldt [at] nmsi__ac__uk

                 Distributed: Wednesday, June 20, 2007