Subject: Rolling racks for painting storage

Rolling racks for painting storage

From: Lindsay Haynes <lindsay.haynes>
Date: Friday, June 15, 2007
The Archives of Ontario is relocating to a brand new facility in
2009 and we are in the planning stages for designing our storage
vault to house approximately 450-500 paintings, plus 3-D objects and
some flat storage for works on paper.

We are seeking recommendations on good rolling rack systems that
have been installed within the past 5 years. We'd appreciate hearing
both positive and negative experiences, and any words of wisdom for
dealing with manufacturers. Are rolling racks heavy/difficult to
pull out, and do they move smoothly? Is there a distinct advantage
of manual versus automated systems? Is maintenance required?

Lindsay Haynes
Conservation Technician
Archives of Ontario
77 Grenville St., 3rd floor