Subject: Olympic basketball jersey

Olympic basketball jersey

From: Jane Ketcham <ketcham>
Date: Friday, June 8, 2007
A small college has asked me for advice on cleaning a 1952 Olympic
basketball jersey, made by Wilson. I want to ask if anyone else has
experience with a similar item. It is a knit fabric, with separate
sewn on lettering. I have not yet done microscopy to determine the
fibers (a possibility, if necessary), and an instructor with the
athletics department is contacting Wilson to see of they might have
any records of the materials used. It does not feel like cotton, and
may be a synthetic (nylon, perhaps?). It has been displayed for many
years in a painted exhibit case, along with a large piece of
polyurethane foam (supporting a trophy) which has deteriorated and
probably off-gassed. The jersey has some localized yellowing, and
feels somewhat "tacky". Under other circumstances I would advise
against cleaning, but in this case I think it may be of benefit. I
would welcome any suggestions.

Jane Ketcham

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 17, 2007