Subject: Cleaning wooden map

Cleaning wooden map

From: Annie Armour <aarmour>
Date: Thursday, June 14, 2007
We have a wooden topographical map of our campus, complete with
houses, roads, mountain terrain, streams, a steeple that used to
light up, and recorded sound of bells. it was made in the 1960's by
a prominent Nashville architect. We are making this into a table.
Since it has been in storage for quite a while, it has gotten dusty.

I would like to know the best way to clean this 4 x 8 foot map. The
map is mostly made from plywood. The landscape, however, was layered
with pieces of wood and something more pliable like plaster.
Whatever it is, it's in good shape-merely dirty. The trees feel like
something you would put into an aquarium. I don't know what they are
made of. Some of the larger buildings are styrofoam. Roads, streams,
and playing fields are painted onto the landscape. It's really a
very cool map that will be used first as an exhibit for our
sesquicentennial and then as the main research table in our new
archives building (not yet under construction).

I am used to working with paper and photos, but haven't really
needed to clean something like this before. Please give me advice!
We need to clean it before it gets encased in tempered glass.

Annie Armour
University of the South
Sewanee, TN

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 17, 2007