Subject: Saturated salt solutions to control humidity

Saturated salt solutions to control humidity

From: Stefanie Pfeifer <stefanie_pfeifer>
Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2007
I am writing my diploma thesis in conservation / restoration of
photographs in Berlin and am interested in the method of using
saturated salt solutions to control humidity. I got the information,
that some objects (photographs in this case) treated with
"salt-conditioning" deteriorate more heavily in accelerated aging
tests. This information refers first of all to the use of potassium
nitrite as the salt, but also to potassium dichromate. Might anyone
have similar experiences?

Stefanie Pfeifer
Sorauer Str. 23
10997 Berlin