Subject: Storing flags

Storing flags

From: Deborah Lee Trupin <deborah.trupin>
Date: Thursday, June 14, 2007
Merethe Brock Didriksen <mbd [at] konsv__dk> writes

>... We
>are seeking a suitable storage solution where the flags are able to
>lie plane. Therefore we would be very grateful to hear of your
>ideas, experiences or names and addresses of suppliers of compact
>storage systems or similar.

My colleague Sarah C. Stevens, whose work concentrates on the New
York State Battle Flag Preservation Project, but is not on the Cons
DistList, prepared the following response. I will add a word of
support to getting your flag collections into flat storage, rather
than rolling them.

    Many flag collections in the US have been transferred from
    rolled storage around their staff to flat (plane) storage in
    carts. I have included a website that has pictures of these
    cabinets--some are custom made and others have been specially
    designed by a few companies in the US, whose contact information
    I have included below. I think you will be surprised by the
    amount of floor space this kind of system will require! Please
    let me know if you have further questions,

    Sarah C. Stevens
    Associate Textile Conservator
    NYS Bureau of Historic Sites
    PO Box 219
    Waterford, NY 12188
    518-237-8643 ext 3277

The Iowa conservation program's website has some good pictures of
their storage: <URL:http://www.iowaflags.org/process/storage.htm>
Companies that produce storage cabinetry:

    SmallCorp, Inc.
    PO Box 948
    Greenfield, MA 01302
    800-392-9500
    Fax: 413 773 7386
    Contact person: Van Wood <vwood [at] smallcorp__com>

    Delta Designs Ltd.
    PO Box 1733
    Topeka, Kansas USA 66601
    800-656-7426
    Fax: 785-233-1021
    sales [at] deltadesignsltd__com or info [at] deltadesignsltd__com
    <URL:http://www.deltadesignsltd.com/>

    Burroughs Corporation
    3002 N. Burdick Street
    Kalamazoo, MI 49004