Subject: Stone sculpture in the Arctic

Stone sculpture in the Arctic

From: Valerie Tomlinson <valerie_tomlinson>
Date: Monday, June 11, 2007
I am presently living in a small town north of the arctic circle,
1300km from the nearest city. Last year, the outdoor stone sculpture
(carved by one of the more renowned northern artists) that sits in
front of the town's tourism offices was vandalized by kids. Because
of my conservation history, I was asked if I would help fix it, and
I agreed. I am looking for recommendations for epoxies that will
stand up well to the arctic conditions and the names of Canadian
suppliers to order them from. Also, as I have been out of the
conservation loop for a bit, and feel a bit rusty, if there are any
comments, recommendations, or ideas on the subject, they would be
welcome. I would also appreciate any recommendations on fill
materials for the losses.

Winter conditions drop below -40 every winter, despite global
warming (it used to drop below -50). Summers can get up into the
+30s, but it can also snow, even in July. The sun shines 24 hours a
day for the months of June and July. And, of course, the rates of
vandalism here are very high. The broken fragments are all quite
small, the largest being only a few centimetres in size, so only a
few will require pins, which is fortunate considering thermal
expansion/ contraction issues. Your input would be welcome.

Valerie Tomlinson

                  Distributed: Tuesday, June 12, 2007