Subject: Iron cannons

Iron cannons

From: Robert G. Lodge <mckaylodge>
Date: Saturday, June 9, 2007
Noora Hirvonen <noora.hirvonen [at] kolumbus__fi> writes

>I am seeking information to help me to determine the right
>conservation treatments for over hundred iron cannons that are
>located outdoors around Suomenlinna fortress

We have used a Canadian corrosion control coating product for over
four years now and it has shown itself to be very effective.  It has
shown itself in our tests to be 100% effective in preventing
corrosion on iron and steel in adverse environments for years with a
single thin coating.  The coating is removable.  The trade name is
Ship-2-Shore and it has had primary use in corrosion prevention on
ships in North American salt water environments. See
<URL:http://www.ship-2-shore.com> for full product information.

The website contains a couple of examples of our application of the
product in preventing corrosion on outdoor museum collection steel
and iron macroartifacts.  We will be using the product extensively
this summer as a preservation coating on historic oil well rigs and
related oil field equipment following a successful trial application
several years ago.

Robert G. Lodge
President
McKay Lodge Conservation Laboratory, Inc.
10915 Pyle South Amherst Rd.
Oberlin OH 44074
+44 774 4215
Fax: 44 775 1368