Subject: Using vacuum cleaners in display cases

Using vacuum cleaners in display cases

From: Imogen Herford <imogen.herford>
Date: Friday, June 8, 2007
I am involved with a museum that holds many artifacts collected from
all over the world by a late 19th century explorer.  These objects
vary considerably in age, material and condition.  We have been
advised that it is unacceptable to use a vacuum cleaner to clean the
insides of the glass display cases in which they are housed.  For a
small museum with a large collection on display, and without funds
to match, this is an incredibly labour intensive task. I understand
that in each case an analysis of the situation must be made before
embarking on any methods of cleaning e.g. a vacuum cleaner would not
be used in a display case that housed vulnerable textile or small
objects.  However I am interested to know if it is commonly
understood that vacuum cleaners should never be used in any account,
in any situation, even in empty display cases. I look forward to
hearing your views,

Imogen Herford

                   Distributed: Friday, June 8, 2007