Subject: Adhesives for archival materials

Adhesives for archival materials

From: William L. Hopkins <whopkins>
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Recently a question came from one of our patrons who was asking for
recommendations concerning "an archivally approved adhesive" for the
mending of tears in paper documents.  I didn't feel comfortable
recommending anything as over the last few years I've heard negative
reports about even Filmoplast and wheat starch paste.  Does anyone
know if there is a prescribed "correct" adhesive for mending tears
or is there still some debate?

William L. Hopkins
Manager of Collections
American Heritage Center