Subject: Polyamides

Polyamides

From: Emma Richardson <ejcr>
Date: Wednesday, May 30, 2007
I am a PhD research student working in collaboration with the
University of Southampton and the Victoria and Albert Museum,
London. My area of research is the effects of raised and lowered
temperature pest eradication methods (55 deg. C and -30 deg. C
respectively) on synthetic polymers found within heritage
collections. I am particularly interested in the behaviour of new
and aged polyamides, which are present within this context either as
mixed media objects e.g. fibres, textiles, zippers, or applied
through conservation treatments.

For this work to progress I need to acquire a number of new and
naturally aged nylon samples to enable robust and representative
analysis and testing. To this end, I am seeking help with the supply
of such samples to assist my research.

The list below contains the main Nylon sub-classes I would like to
represent in my work (both aged and new), but I would be grateful of
any fibres, textiles and resins of this nature that could be
offered.

  Polyamide         Sub-class

    PA6             Aliphatic
    PA66            Aliphatic
    PA11            Aliphatic
    PA12            Aliphatic
    PA-TMDT         Aliphatic
    PA6T            Partial Aromatic
    PA6I            Partial Aromatic
    Nomex           Aromatic
    Kevlar          Aromatic

As is the case with such work, any information regarding additives
and treatments would be much appreciated, but I realise that this is
not always possible.

Emma Richardson
Conservation Science
Textile Conservation Centre