Subject: Stuffed apes

Stuffed apes

From: Gerard Cobut <gerard.cobut>
Date: Thursday, June 7, 2007
This query is intended especially for Natural history Museums and
similar institutions.

Is there any evidence showing that stuffed apes in Museums are more
often touched by the visitors (and as a consequence, more often
deteriorated) than other kind of stuffed mammals?

We just had two recent cases of (slight) hooliganism on a chimpanzee
and an orangutan. As we are preparing a new gallery,I would
appreciate any hint regarding specimens conservation (because we
like *not* to put them in glass showcases).

Gerard Cobut
Biologist, museologist
Museum of Natural Sciences
Exhibition development