Subject: Removing bronze paint

Removing bronze paint

From: Susie Layton <susie_layton>
Date: Tuesday, June 5, 2007
I have a large late 18th century water gilded wooden frame with
composition moulding coated in bronze paint. I have run through
solubility tests and so far acetone is removing the paint. I need,
if possible, to retain the under layer of water gilding. Any ideas
on an alternative to remove the paint without disturbing the
gilding?

Susie Layton

                   Distributed: Friday, June 8, 2007