Subject: FM 200 fire suppression system

FM 200 fire suppression system

From: William L. Hopkins <whopkins>
Date: Wednesday, June 6, 2007
We have recently begun discussions regarding the possible
installation of a non-liquid gaseous fire suppression system using
FM-200 being installed in our facility.  However, since our facility
houses not only paper based archival manuscripts and photographs but
also artwork (both two-dimensional and three dimensional), rare
books, film, and artifacts of various kinds we're concerned about
the effects of FM-200 on multi media collections and if there have
been any studies or recommendations regarding potential damage to
different media.  Are there some types of material or situations
that FM-200 works better for than others, is it detrimental to some
types of material, and are there recommendations out there that
could be helpful to us in making our decision.

William L. Hopkins
Manager of Collections
American Heritage Center
Dept. 3924