Subject: Transparent mastic

Transparent mastic

From: Agnes Asperti <agnes_asperti>
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2007
I am research any information about techniques which will allow the
production of a transparent and colourless mastic for retouching.

I am working on research project about preservation-restoration of
particular work of art consisting of a fine oil paint layer directly
applied to slab of marble. The surface of marble is polished. In few
places, the paint layer is applied as a transparent glaze which
makes the vein and colour of underlying marble visible. This paint
layer has lacunae. With the intention of respecting the artist's
intention, I have to find a technique for retouching while letting
the underlying marble remain visible. I would like to realize a
transparent and colourless mastic and am looking for information
about materials adapted to this intervention: resins, waxes
(naturals or synthetics), solvents. Does someone have any experience
with this?

                   Distributed: Friday, June 8, 2007