Subject: Consolidating alabaster

Consolidating alabaster

From: Ulisses L. Mello <ulissesmello>
Date: Monday, May 28, 2007
I am going to treat an alabaster sculpture. The surface has several
white spots due to high exposure to moisture and salts (it was
located near the sea). I've applied a 5% B72 solution in xylenes and
then 10%. It did improve some of the superficial areas, bringing
back the translucent aspect but there is still a large number of
areas that remain opaque with no noticeable changes. Is anyone aware
of an alternative consolidant to reduce the deeper white chalk dust
like appearance?

Ulisses Mello
Conservator
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil