Subject: Ultrasonic and pneumatic nebulizers for mist consolidation

Ultrasonic and pneumatic nebulizers for mist consolidation

From: Ruth Bubb <ruth>
Date: Friday, June 8, 2007
Julie Dennin Ream <julieream [at] comcast__net> writes

>From time to time I am asked to advise colleagues on the purchase of
>equipment for use in mist consolidation projects. ...
>
>...  I would be interested in a
>dialogue surrounding the equipment conservators have chosen and how
>it has impacted their experiences in treatment. There are more and
>more devices on the medical market now--are the more expensive ones
>really worth it?  Please respond to the list.

I am currently investigating exactly the same question of purchasing
a nebulizer system for the consolidation of powdery paint, and would
welcome any advice or anecdotal discussion of the available
machines.  In particular, how useful has anyone found it to have the
ability to heat the consolidant? Is it the case that at the very low
concentrations in question heating is not really necessary? Also, do
the medical nebulizers such as the DeVilbiss need any retro-fitting
for our purposes or can they be used as supplied?

Ruth Bubb
Paintings Conservator
Private Practice, UK

                   Distributed: Friday, June 8, 2007