Subject: Artsorb

Artsorb

From: Rachael Arenstein <rachaelarenstein>
Date: Monday, May 28, 2007
Gali Beiner <gali.beiner [at] pitt-rivers-museum__oxford__ac__uk>
writes

>In one of our display cases we keep several trays containing Artsorb
>as a buffer for maintaining a RH level around 50% as stable as
>possible. The trays have been in the case for the last 5 years. They
>are made of metal (aluminium, as far as I can tell) and the Artsorb
>in them is the white bead type. When checked recently for refreshing
>the buffer material, I found that all trays had a considerable layer
>of Artsorb stuck at the bottom--stuck so hard that it was
>practically impossible to scrape off without very great effort.

If you are looking for an alternative to the Artsorb trays, the
Rhapid Gel silica packs from Art Preservation Services do not
contain lithium chloride and come in a moisture permeable bag so
they are very easy to handle.

Rachael Perkins Arenstein
Conservator in Private Practice

                   Distributed: Friday, June 8, 2007