Subject: Water purification

Water purification

From: Patsy Orlofsky <textile>
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Winston Atkins <winston.atkins [at] duke__edu> writes

>Water Filtration for Conservation Lab
>
>Duke University Libraries is planning a new book and paper
>conservation lab and one of the issues we need to address with our
>architects is how to spec out the water filtration system. I'd
>appreciate advice from you all regarding:
>
>    *   merits of deionization vs reverse osmosis,

Our experience has been that a reasonably sized reverse osmosis
set-up cannot recuperate enough deionized water to get you through a
typical textile wet cleaning.  We know that we use 70 gallons per
bath in our wash table which is 10 feet long and 5 feet wide.  (The
water reaches 2 inches in depth for one bath.) Note: with textiles,
multiple baths are often required. You can ask the water
purification installer to attach a gauge which tells you how many
gallons you are actually using per bath.  We had been greatly
underestimating before we took readings from the gauge.

                   Distributed: Friday, June 8, 2007