Subject: Iron cannons

Iron cannons

From: Michael Kramer <mkramer>
Date: Monday, May 28, 2007
Noora Hirvonen <noora.hirvonen [at] kolumbus__fi> writes

>I am seeking information to help me to determine the right
>conservation treatments for over hundred iron cannons that are
>located outdoors around Suomenlinna fortress

Since the cannons are to be outside in the weather, it seems an
industrial paint system would work the best. There are problems with
blasting the cast iron to a "white metal" condition, not the least
of which is the formation of flash rust before the cannon can be
primed, also the profile produced by blasting is such that after
several cycles of painting and blasting, there won't be much cannon
left. Having said that, Devoe Paints has a penetrating pre-prime
(#167) which we have used on moderately rusted cast iron with
excellent results, followed by application of one of their epoxies
(#235)  which would be top coated with their catalyzed urethane. The
pre-prime is designed to be used on rusty metal and will penetrate
as much as 1/4 inch into the surface. We have worked over several
cast iron and steel objects with this system with excellent results.
The material can be brushed or sprayed. Also a high gloss clear can
be applied over the catalyzed urethane which would add longevity and
help resist vandalism and graffiti.

Michael Kramer
President
The Gilders' Studio, Inc.