Subject: Ozone and inkjet prints

Ozone and inkjet prints

From: Eva Grieten <egriet>
Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2007
As we learned at the recent Mellon workshop in NYC, ozone can be
very detrimental to inkjet prints. As we are attempting to make a
preservation plan for the digital prints in our collection, we would
like to assess the levels of ozone in our storage areas, lab, and
galleries. There is much literature on the influence of ozone and
how ozone affects the stability of prints, but it is hard to
translate this information to daily practice. Some of the questions
that arise while reading the literatures follow.

What is the best way to measure ozone levels without buying
expensive equipment? How reliable and accurate are the passive
monitors, like ChromAir ozone badges? How long should a monitor be
exposed (directions say "5 minutes to 10 hours")? What kind of
concentration should worry us? Is there a standard we can use? What
is the nature of the damage done to inkjet prints by ozone? How
often should the testing be repeated?

If you have any experience on this subject to share, we would be
very grateful.

Eva Grieten
Andrew W. Mellon Fellow in Photograph Conservation
Photography Collection
The Art Institute of Chicago
111 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois  60603