Subject: Colour measurement

Colour measurement

From: Robert Lewis <robert.lewis>
Date: Monday, May 14, 2007
Eva Antonsen <eva.antonsen [at] qag__qld__gov__au> writes

>We have the article "Daylight Fluorescent Colors as Artistic Media"
>by Ellis, M. H., McGlinchey, C. W. and Chao, E. which talks about
>colour changes in fluorescent paint (Day-Glo), but we have not been
>able to find anything on colour measurement of transparent resins in
>relation to conservation.

Though it doesn't deal with the measurement of transparent resins
specifically, there's a good summary of spectrophotometry in general
in

Johnston-Feller, R. (2001) Color Science in the Examination of
Museum Objects: Nondestructive Procedures (Tools for Conservation)
Getty Trust Publications

We've been using a portable spectrometer with integrating sphere
geometry (Konica Minolta CM2600d) to support accelerated
light-fading tests. We're looking at objects with polychrome
surfaces, and find it very useful. It works my measuring reflected
light though, so I wonder how successful it would be at measuring a
translucent material.

Rob Lewis
Assistant Conservator (Objects)
Cultural and Sport Glasgow