Subject: Acetate

Acetate

From: Zu-Chun Liao <zc7>
Date: Friday, May 11, 2007
I received a group of photographs and some of them have acetate
deterioration caused by water damage. Someone came to my museum and
suggested that I apply 100% alcohol to clean the acetate. I have
applied it on one piece and found damage on the acetate gauge. Other
people suggest that I use activated carbon to absorb the acetate
smell; however, I applied it and after a week I used A-D strips to
test and find out the problem is still evident.  Does anybody know
any better solution to solve the problem? My museum does not have
enough funding to purchase an expensive machine for washing. I am
looking for a cheaper and efficient way to solve the problem.

    **** Moderator's comments: This message has been edited rather
    severely for clarity and I hope that I have not changed the
    author's meaning.

Zu-Chun Liao
Collection Manager,
National Museum of Natural Science