Subject: Artsorb

Artsorb

From: Christoph Waller <info>
Date: Friday, May 11, 2007
Gali Beiner <gali.beiner [at] pitt-rivers-museum__oxford__ac__uk>
writes

>In one of our display cases we keep several trays containing Artsorb
>as a buffer for maintaining a RH level around 50% as stable as
>possible. The trays have been in the case for the last 5 years. They
>are made of metal (aluminium, as far as I can tell) and the Artsorb
>in them is the white bead type. When checked recently for refreshing
>the buffer material, I found that all trays had a considerable layer
>of Artsorb stuck at the bottom--stuck so hard that it was
>practically impossible to scrape off without very great effort.
>
>As far as I know, Artsorb is a silica gel. It apparently contains
>lithium chloride, so it may be corrosive to metal. Does that explain
>why it got stuck to our aluminium trays? Has anyone else had a
>similar experience with Artsorb getting stuck?

Indeed Art Sorb contains lithium chloride, a hygroscopic salt
corrosive to many metals like aluminium, zinc, steel, brass. I
suppose the trays are either made of aluminium or galvanized steel.
Therefore Art Sorb must be handled with great care (also Art Sorb
sheets) to make sure that no corrosive Art Sorb dusts are spread on
art objects or delicate surfaces.

For further information please look at

    <URL:http://www.cwaller.de/eartsorb.htm>.

The producer of Art Sorb has been concealing these dangers for a
very long time. The product Pro Sorb offers a safe and more
effective alternative.

Christoph Waller
Long Life for Art
Im Bueckle 4